Looking Back at my Time at Texan News Service

By: Kaley Dowell

kaley

Texan News Service (TNS) has taught me so much since coming onto staff in January of 2020. I have learned how to push through difficult circumstances, take initiative as well as lead and teach those who come after me.

I first started as a multimedia journalist and continued writing stories virtually during the COVID-19 pandemic. Through that, I had to learn how to best conduct interviews online and over the phone.

At the end of that spring semester, most of our staff either graduated or stepped away, so I was quickly promoted to executive producer because I had the most knowledge on broadcasting. As the executive producer, I produced and directed all of our broadcasts. I had to teach myself a lot of the job, but I have enjoyed every minute of working for TNS.

With becoming the executive producer, I had to take initiative to learn everything and lead our staff well to produce broadcasts. Since I was the only one who knew how to run the tricaster board and produce a broadcast, I made it a point to teach others as well. I am confident in the hands of those that will be taking over our broadcasts. My hope is for them to be better than I ever was and take TNS broadcasts to a whole new level. 

Getting to focus solely on broadcasts the last two semesters, I realized a love for video production that is continually growing. I love producing, directing, filming and editing videos. With TNS, I got to do all of those.

Graduating in August has been an interesting experience. All summer, I felt like I was already graduated, but still had two classes to finish. My next step is coming onto staff at the Tarleton Baptist Student Ministry (BSM).

I have been involved at the BSM since the Spring of 2019 and am excited to give back a year after college to continue to love, serve and bring the gospel to Tarleton students. In that job position, I will get to combine my love for Jesus and film production by creating content for the BSM’s social media.

My long-term career goal is to be a film director in Hollywood. God has given me a desire to bring the good news of Jesus to the people of California, including celebrities, and I am going to do just that.

I am extremely grateful for the stamina, leadership, teaching opportunities, friendships and realizations that TNS has given me. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for TNS.