A Heart for Helping

Tarleton alumnus a reliable volunteer presence 

Andrew Huf has taken to heart a quote from Winston Churchill: 

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” 

Huf, an Advanced Manufacturing Engineer at TechnipFMC in Stephenville, is one of Tarleton State University’s most reliable volunteers. 

“I love it,” he says of his hectic schedule. “To be able to give back to the university and community has been super-critical in helping me grow. It’s awesome.” 

Huf moved to Stephenville in 2005 after graduating from Granger High School near Austin. One of six brothers, five of whom attended Tarleton, he’s the only one who stayed. 

“It was easy to follow in their footsteps,” he said. “When I would come and visit, I grew to love the community. At the time, Tarleton was tiny and I loved that, which is kind of ironic, as it’s grown so much and now I love seeing that growth.” 

A 2008 graduate, Huf earned his bachelor’s degree in engineering technology in 2008, then took his master’s in quality and engineering management in 2013. 

“I did a lot of volunteering with the clubs I was involved with during my undergrad. That work led to connections with professors, and that eventually landed me a full-time job at Fibregrate before I was a junior.” 

He returned to Tarleton as an engineering adjunct professor after getting his master’s. 

“I originally laughed and said no, thank you,” he said of the opportunity to teach. He relented, however. “I’ll do it one semester,” he agreed. “Funny story, last month wrapped up my eighth year doing it.” 

Teaching proved a springboard to becoming involved at Tarleton post-graduation. It got Huf back on campus. He became an active volunteer in 2019 when he was elected to the Alumni Association Board of Directors. 

Now he attends many events that need the presence of a board member. Besides his work on behalf of the university, Huf is also active with the Stephenville Chamber of Commerce, serving as President of the Ambassadors Club for a second term. 

“I participated in the Leadership Stephenville program,” he said. “I was the officer who reported to the Ambassadors at their monthly meetings, gave updates on what the class was doing, where we were with our class project.” 

From that role he was recruited to apply for the Ambassadors. “I said heck yeah, I’ll do it.” 

He is regularly seen at ribbon cuttings and mixers and pitches in with big chamber events like Safe Trick ’R Treat and Holly Jolly Christmas, and he served on the Covid Relief Fund Committee for Erath County United Way. 

Though he has lots of irons in the fire, his volunteer efforts energize him. 

“I enjoy the work,” he said, “but I like seeing things come to fruition. Seeing a plan come through at the end, be it an event or something thrown together for someone in need. I don’t mind any of the work, but I really enjoy the final result.” 

He also has a tip for those considering lending a hand. 

“Ask how you can be involved. From a simple introduction you could be meeting fellow alumni and making important and unforgettable connections. 

“You never know what you have in time, talent or treasure that could change someone’s life.”