What we do
- Aid in creating press releases for both internal and external audiences for the University.
- Promote events, news, and programs that are of interest to communities outside of Tarleton.
- Extend the reach of University news and information to larger state and national audiences.
- Write, or assist in the process of writing, scripts, storyboards, and graphic information for programming.
- Create video programs to promote and enhance the vision of Tarleton State University and its Departments.
- Facilitate, edit and composite the production and streaming of select events to Internet portals.
What do I do if the News Media contacts me?
1. Notify Marketing & Communications
Contact Marketing & Communications about the media inquiry, by emailing —- or calling —–. Provide the following details:
- Reporter name
If you want Marketing & Communications to contact the reporter for you, additionally provide contact information such as phone number and/or email.
2. Discuss the media inquiry
Marketing & Communications will discuss the media inquiry with you to:
- Assess potential concerns;
- Develop a response;
- Determine whether you would like us to draft materials;
- Discuss whether you would like us to provide coaching; and
- Decide whether to hand off the inquiry to us.
3. Develop an appropriate strategy
Work with Marketing & Communications to develop final messages and logistics. Aiming to decide the following factors:
- Who will talk to the media?
- What are the key message points we wish to get across?
- Are there limitations on our response and/or do we need to contact the Office of the General Counsel?
If it is determined that you are the appropriate spokesperson, you will:
- Setup the interview—online, via telephone or in person.
- Stick to key messages and facts (if responses are sent via email, run them by Marketing& Communications before sending), and
- Let us know after the interview how it went and whether you had any surprises or concerns. We’ll determine appropriate follow-up and ensure that you receive a copy of the final media coverage.